What Is Body Image?
- How do you see yourself when you look at yourself in the mirror or in a photograph? What do you believe about your appearance?
- How do you feel about your body? (weight, height, shape)
- How do you feel In your body, not just About your body?
Negative Body Image:
- Feeling ashamed, anxious or self-conscious about your body.
- Feeling unattractive AND that your body size or shape is a sign of personal failure.
- Awkward and uncomfortable feeling about moving around in your body.
- A distorted perception of your shape (you think of part of your body unlike they really are).
Positive Body Image:
- You feel proud and accepting of your body as unique to you alone.
- You do not spend an unreasonable amount of time worrying about food, weight and calories.
- While moving around you feel comfortable and confident in your body.
Some questions to ponder about yourself and your looks:
- What messages about your body did you receive growing up?
- What messages do you get now?
- What messages do you tell yourself?
It is important, and feels better, to be gentle with ourselves.
We judge ourselves harshly – thinking that other women may see you as overweight – yet, the truth is, most of the other women are busy thinking the same thing, and so, don’t have time to judge you negatively.
There is hope to change all of that thinking. I use a gentle, intuitive approach in therapy that will help you get in touch with the person you were meant to be, in the body you have. You can get to a natual, stable, perfect weight for yourself without constantly being on a diet, and having to always wonder if a food is right, wrong, or ok. Please give me a call for more information, or to make an appointment to start the process today.
Here are some links that deal with problems of negative body image: